Viscacha

A Viscacha is a Peruvian rodent. Their average weight is 2-5 pounds, their average length is 13 inches. They live at altitudes between 13,000 and 16,000 feet. People have seen this cute animal in places like Machu Picchu and the Andes mountains. They have thick fur to withstand the cold. They have pads on their feet to help them climb the mountains. Viscachas kind of look like a cross between a bunny and a chinchilla.

Northern & Southern viscacha

The 5 species of viscacha are: plains viscacha,  lagidium ahuacaense,  northern viscacha,  southern viscacha and wolffsohn’s viscacha.

I wonder if the viscacha is endangered?

3 Replies to “Viscacha”

1. maddy

Dear Mosie,

Your blogs are so awesome and have great topics.My favorite one is the viscachas blog. What really interested me was how they can live at such high altitudes and can have thick fur. Did you know that the viscachas tales can grow up to one third of their body and are very bushy? What do viscachas eat, are they omnivore, vegetarian, or carnivore? Can’t wait for your next blog, Mosie!

Sincerely,
    Maddy

Reply
  2. Madelyn Atkinson

Dear Mosie,

Sincerely,
    Maddy

Reply
    1. mosiew2023

Dear Maddy,

No I did not know that about their tails. their closely related to rabbits so their vegetarian. they are one of my favorite animals.

sincerely,
      Mosie W

Reply